Leading on from yesterday’s post I’m going to show you how easy it is to make a nutritious, vegetarian & filling meal from the Woolworths Organic brand range. The rest of the ingredients I got from my herb garden & an egg from my chooks. For the breadcrumbs use any gluten free shop bought bread (Organic is ideal) & whiz a couple of slices up in the food processor.
This recipe I found & have adapted from the Institute of Integrative Nutrition Gluten Free Holiday Recipe Guide. It is a free download but can I find the link to it now, no. Here’s IIN main website as a reference.
Spaghetti & Vegetarian Lentil Meat Balls
Ingredients (Serves 4)
- 1 cup Organic dry lentils – soaked for 8 hours
- 2 cups vegetable broth (or water) I use homemade Thermomix stock
- 1 Organic free range egg
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp fresh oregano or other mixed herbs
- 1/2 cup gluten-free bread crumbs
- 1 pkg Organic Spaghetti (or gluten free/raw zucchini pasta if you prefer)
- 1 jar Organic pasta sauce
- Shredded parmesan cheese to top (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 180° C.
2. Bring the vegetable broth and lentils to a boil and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes, or until lentils are tender.
3. Combine egg, salt, pepper, garlic and oregano in a food processor. When the lentils are done, add those as well. Pulse until blended well. Fold in the bread crumbs. If the mixture is too dry, add another egg. If it’s too wet, add more bread crumbs (you want these a little more on the wet side).
4. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
5. Roll the mixture (with wet hands or use food prep gloves) into1-inch balls. Place on sheet.
6. Bake the lentil “meat” balls for 20 minutes or until they start to get golden brown.
7. While the lentil balls are baking, cook your pasta according to the directions on the pack.
8. Heat the pasta sauce.
9. Drain pasta and divide into bowls. Top with a few lentil “meat” balls, some pasta sauce, and Parmesan cheese.
Institute of Integrative Nutrition Gluten Free Holiday Recipe Guide, 2013, Page 18.