It wouldn’t be Food Focus week without a post of a couple of my favourite recipes would it!
I am one of those people who do enjoy a good salad but it always seems to taste better if someone else has made it. This salad though I am more than happy to make & eat myself. It has been adapted from the Gaia Retreat ‘Grace’ cookbook. I visited Gaia a few years back & was impressed with their healthful food I bought the book. The second recipe is also from the same book with a few modifications from myself. Who can’t beat a bliss ball or two? Enjoy!
Roast Sweet Potato & Rocket Salad with honey mustard vinaigrette
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
- 1 medium sized orange sweet potato
- Large bunch of rocket &/or mixed leaf salad
- 1 tblspn sesame seeds
- 1 tspn cinnamon powder
- 1 tspn paprika
- ½ tspn pink sea salt
- ¼ tspn fresh ground black pepper
- 2 d/spn organic coconut oil melted
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees
- Wash sweet potato & cut into bite sized wedges
- Place sweet potato wedges in a baking tray & add cinnamon, paprika, salt, pepper, sprinkle over the sesame seeds & cover in melted coconut oil
- Using you hands toss the wedges a few times to coat them in oil & spices, then place in the oven for about 25 minutes
- Remove from oven, place wedges in a salad bowl. Let them cool for ten minutes then add the salad leaves. Toss through evenly.
- Dress with the honey mustard vinaigrette or serve dressing on the side
I’ve added cubes of Organic Tofu lightly fried in coconut oil, cherry tomatoes & avocado for some extra flavour.
Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- 2 d/spn seeded mustard (Woolworths Organic is ideal)
- 1 d/spn honey
- 2 d/spn apple cider vinegar (Woolworths Organic is ideal)
- Pinch pink sea salt
- 2 d/spn macadamia nut oil or other cold pressed oil
Put all ingredients together in a jar & give it a good shake.
- ¾ cup soaked dried dates (8 hours soaking)
- ½ cup soaked dried figs
- ½ cup desiccated coconut
- ½ almond meal (use the pulp left over from your almond milk)
- 1 cup coarsely chopped nuts – almonds, cashews, pecans of your choice
- 2 d/spn of cocoa
Optional: ¼ tspn ground cinnamon or dried ginger as its Christmas!
- Place dried fruit in a bowl or Mason jar, cover with warm water & leave in the fridge overnight.
- Blend all ingredients together in a food processor
- Roll bite sized balls in desiccated coconut
- Keep refrigerated