It’s the latest health food trend and I’m sure you’ve all heard or tried them by now. The green smoothie has landed. Personally it took my a while to get on board with it. Probably because they look like a glass of bile & involved green vegetables I don’t particularly like. I felt when green smoothies first became popular & everyone was doing it I didn’t want to buy into something because it’s the cool new thing to do. So I didn’t. Nose being cut off to spite my face? Yes. Now I look back and think what a dick am I for ignoring something so healthful just because I was too stubborn and didn’t want to be part of cool and the gang. How I have changed and grown.
This is a good example of judgement and not listening too your inner self for guidance. Green vegetable messages come through loud and clear for me all the time. I don’t action them as much as I should. I know this because I keep getting the message and will do until I do was I’m told. Eating a massive plate of raw greens is my partners dream and my nightmare. They just don’t appeal. ‘What’ I hear you shout, you are an advocate for holistic loveliness how can you not like one of the most amazing, natural sources of goodness? We are all unique. One size does not fit all. It’s a no brainer raw vegetables are wonderful, they make us feel great, I feel great after eating them but it’s a chore to get them down. If our taste buds haven’t developed yet or aren’t ready yet for such helpful delights it will be a struggle.
Green juicing was my answer. I can down a green smoothie a lot quicker than eating a plate of veg. It’s quicker to prepare too, no chopping the Thermomix does it for me. The green veg is also disguised with other flavours that appeal more to my developing taste buds. Juicing raw vegetables is the best way to preserve all the natural nutrients too. Cooking actually kills off some of these. It still looks like bile. With a few trial and error experiments I now know the perfect blend that makes sure I’m getting my greens & it still tastes good. A pleasure now not a chore. I have my green juice in the morning and it keeps me a lot fuller than my old bread based breakfasts used to.
Here’ my recipe:
- 400ml of Raw Coconut water
- A handful of kale, spinach and broccoli
- Half a green apple
- 2 teaspoons of Vital Greens powder (full of the all important Organic spirulina, chlorella, wheatgrass and alfalfa plus much, much more)
- 1 tablespoon of organic, cold pressed coconut oil
- 2 scoops of 180 Nutrition Vegan protein powder (full of pea protein, flaxseed, almond meal, sunflower kernels, coconut flour, chia seeds, sesame seeds, psyllium husks, inactive brewers yeast & stevia)
- 1 teaspoon of bee pollen (*note: allergy aware!!)
- Depending on my mood I also add occasionally 1 teaspoon of organic raw cacoa
- Lots of ice from purified water!
Happy green juicing!
Love Seren xx
Mason jar available from Eco Jarz: http://www.ecojarz.com/